Pew Research Center, “Key facts about Asian Americans, a diverse and growing population” Pew Research Center, Washington, D.C. (September 8, 2017) :
According to research regarding Asian Americans conducted by the Pew Research Center, a record 20 million Asian Americans can trace their roots to more than 20 countries in East and Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent, all with their own specific cultures and languages. The following bullets are some of the most interesting key findings among the research.
- The Asian population in America has increased 72% between the years 2000 and 2015 (from 11.9 million to 20.4 million), making it the fastest growing rate of any major racial or ethnic group.
- No single country of origin group dominates the U.S. Asian population, but the largest groups are of Chinese, Indian and Filipino origin.
- The immigration wave from Asia has accounted for one quarter of all immigrants who have arrived in the U.S. since 1965.
- Fast population growth suggests they will eventually be the nation’s largest immigrant group.
- 7 in 10 Asians living in the U.S., ages 5 and older spoke English proficiently in 2015, but this number varies widely across Asian subgroups. The vast majority of Japanese (84%), Filipinos (82%) and Indians (80%) speak English proficiently. Bhutanese (27%) and Burmese (28%) which are both groups with large populations of newly arrived immigrants, have some of the lowest rates of English proficiency.
- U.S. born Asians (94%) are more likely than foreign born Asians (55%) to speak English proficiently.
- Meanwhile, 32% of Asian Americans overall speak only English in their homes, while 68% speak a language other than English at home.
How Can This Research Aid in the Growth of Your Business?:
Understanding cultural and linguistic nuances and adapting your marketing message to cater to the likes, interests and needs of diverse consumer markets can open your business up to a whole new avenue of revenue found in your own backyard. Tapping into diverse domestic consumer markets within the United States has proven to be a lucrative investment and the only way to successfully manage that is by undergoing the process of localization.
Localization takes a companies content including text, images, colors, functionality and the overall aesthetic and modifies it to entice and attract linguistic and culturally diverse shoppers. Companies trying to expand without the aid of professional localization services tend to fall short in diverse markets due to a lack in variation or adaptation to their English designed marketing materials that reflect the targeted audiences cultural and linguistic norms. Localization allows companies to raise brand and product awareness, generate a demand and it also helps in establishing trust in the company by taking the initiative to support and nurture potential diverse markets.
“Asian American Localization: Part Two,” will go in depth regarding the localization process and what that means when targeting the Asian American population. Learn how a professional language service company (LSC) can aid you in achieving your goals of expansion within diverse domestic consumer markets.
Niki’s Int’l Ltd. is a WBENC-Certified Women Business Enterprise with 20 years of language service experience. A global network of highly skilled interpreters and translators are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for on-site, telephonic and video remote interpretation services. Our linguists are available in over 350 languages and dialects, and our network includes certified interpreters and translators. Our work is guaranteed with a $1 Million Errors & Omissions policy so that you can be confident that your project will be completed with the highest level of quality and professionalism within the field. For more information contact us at 1-877-567-8449 or visit our website at www.nilservices.com.