On-Site Interpretation, The Best Form of Interpretation:
Before there was over-the-phone (OPI) interpretation and video remote interpreting (VRI) there was on-site interpretation. On-site interpretation is considered the best method of obtaining the most accurate conversion of information from one language into another. This is because on-site interpretation is conducted face-to-face allowing for the advantage of not only hearing but seeing the interpreter which creates positive communication and an accurate interpretation. On-site interpretation can be conducted in two forms, consecutive and simultaneous. Consecutive interpretation is when the interpreter listens and waits for the speaker to stop talking and then proceeds with the interpretation portion of the session. This is done back and forth until all the information has been stated and interpreted. Consecutive interpretation can be a bit lengthy so when time constraints are at hand simultaneous interpretation is most beneficial. Simultaneous interpreting is when the speaker continuously speaks in the source language while the interpreter conveys the message simultaneously in the target language.
On-Site Interpretation is the Preferred Language Solution for the Following Situations and Scenarios:
- When there is a large event taking place with multiple speakers and participants.
- Anytime the interaction is lengthy and a lot of information is being presented.
- In instance where the information being communicated is sensitive in nature or emotionally challenging.
- In courtroom settings where legal matters are at hand.
- When intense terminology or complex dialogue is being used.
- Encounters between lawyers and clients such as meetings, depositions, hearings, mediations, or any other matter where an attorney needs to communicate with a limited English proficient (LEP) client in precise detail.
- When there is a child involved in the interpretation, children’s language skills are underdeveloped and it may be hard for them to comprehend any elaborate information.
- Situations where communication is needed with elderly individuals who have declining cognitive or hearing abilities, they typically benefit from having an on-site interpreter physically present.
- Any time there is a need for sign language interpretation.
- If the limited English speaker requests the presence of an on-site interpreter.
- Classroom or educational environments, if there is hands on instruction or demonstration taking place.
- Therapy sessions including but not limited to mental health, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and inpatient rehabilitation programs.
- If the the LEP individual is visually impaired on-site interpretation is normally preferred because it aids in allowing the LEP individual to feel comfortable and more at ease communicating with others.
- In situations where there has been a traumatic event, injury, assault or abuse, as stated prior, the physical presence of an on-site interpreter can help all parties involved feel as though they are able to understand and be understood regardless of a language barrier.
Alternatives to On-Site Interpretation:
On-site interpretation is extremely beneficial in helping break down language and cultural barriers and ensuring your message was interpreted accurately. In many situations there is not enough time to schedule an appointment or wait for an on-site interpreter to arrive. In those cases over-the-phone (OPI) interpretation and video remote interpreting (VRI) can be used as on-demand language options. OPI and VRI are best used for situations such as follow-up conversations, short appointments, emergency room settings, hospital registration or medication refills. If a short exchange of information needs to take place it’s best to use OPI as it allows information to be interpreted without the physical presence of an on-site interpreter. VRI is a wonderful language solution when sign language interpretation is needed. VRI keeps the audio as well as the visual aspects of an interpretation session intake which creates the platform for remote sign language interpretation services. If you have a need for dependable and accurate interpretation services contact Niki’s Int’l Ltd., a professional language service company (LSC) with over 20 years of experience in the language service industry. Regardless of the time, place, language or situation you’re in, Niki’s Int’l Ltd. has the interpretation service that will allow communication to be facilitated regardless of the circumstances.
Niki’s Int’l Ltd. is a WBENC-Certified Women Business Enterprise with 20 years of language service experience. A global network of highly skilled interpreters and translators are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for on-site, telephonic and video remote interpretation services. Our linguists are available in over 350 languages and dialects, and our network includes certified interpreters and translators. Our work is guaranteed with a $1 Million Errors & Omissions policy, so that you can be confident that your project will be completed with the highest level of quality and professionalism within the field. For more information contact us at 1-877-567-8449 or visit our website at www.nilservices.com.